- In your very first meeting, on page 5, answered the question, “Who do you want to be in 18 months?” As you near the end of this R3 Group, look back at the things you wanted to be true of you in the three major relationships. Are any of them true? Have you progressed in any of those goals? Can you identify the Spirit’s work in your between then and now? If so, give glory to God! If not, could any of them become true in the time you have left together?
- What are your first thoughts when you hear that the Holy Spirit prompts believers? What are some examples of times you have been led by the Holy Spirit as Galatians 5:18 indicates.
- Are there any areas in your life where you are struggling to yield to the conviction of the Holy Spirit? If so, what are they? Why do you think it’s been a struggle? (Eph. 5:17-18)
- How sensitive are you to the Holy Spirit’s promptings? What things in your life can make you numb to such guidance?
- Have there been any promptings that we have listened to? Any that we have ignored?
- What can you do differently this week to be more receptive to God’s voice in your life? Obviously we can’t force the Spirit to prompt us, but, when we remove the distractions and devote our time and affections to God, we will feel Him tugging on our hearts when He does.
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit […] 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer;
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
Jesus Continued by JD Greear
Forgotten God by Francis Chan
Soul Talk by Lary Crabb
Trouble with Paris by Mark Sayers
Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson
He That is Spiritual by Lewis Sperry Chafer
Insanity of Obedience by Nik Ripken
The Importance of Being Foolish by Brennan Manning
You want to walk away from your R3 group with an action step every time. These are ONLY examples of an action step. By no means are they required. Please feel free to (and seek to) come up with your own. The goal of R3 is to take realistic steps forward together. Please only choose one step and be prepared to report back to your group on how you did the next time you meet.
- Spend 5-10 minutes a day in absolute silence. Seek to meditate on the things of God, maybe a verse you read recently, and just listen for that still quiet voice. 95% of the time you may hear nothing, but the Spirit is guiding God’s people. If you are a distracted individual, the things that are distracting you will expose themselves because they will inhibit your ability to meditate on God for 5 minutes. Be prepared to address these things with your group.
- Create a list of the Spirit’s promptings. Record the things you think are Spirit’s prompting, whether or not you listened, and the effects of your obedience.
- When you hear Gary teach the Bible and feel convicted to action, do it within 24 hours (or make a plan to do it in 24 hours). Examples of this may be inviting a neighbor over for dinner, spending time encouraging one another as a household, give some time to your relationship with God in a way that stirs your affections for Him.